By Carla Helené Ezell
Time is short. We are busier now than we have ever been before. And in the hustle and bustle of life, it is easy to get pulled off course, distracted or overwhelmed with to do lists. But this does not have to be the final result of our lives. In the middle of chaos, we can find balance. Below are five principles to help bring everything into check when life is moving faster than you can keep track of it.
1. Create routines. Spend 5 min prepping the night before by creating a to do list for the next day. This helps you organize your tasks more efficiently and will give you peace of mind. You will sleep better at night when you do not have so many unchecked things hanging over your head. In the morning, as soon as you wake up, pray. Praying before your feet hit the floor will put you in a better mood and promote a ‘can do’ mindset. This exercise will set the tone for the entire day and give you a head start on everything you have to do. When your mind and heart are in the right space you are released to work smarter and more efficiently.
2. Get organized. Break down tasks so they aren’t looming large and overwhelming you. Tackle your now smaller tasks one at a time and give yourself a time frame for each item on your list. When you do get something done, reward yourself. Positive affirmation boosts confidence. Your reward does not have to be anything really big. Even an M&M here or there or five minutes of unplugging while playing Solitaire are a excellent treats for a job well done.
3. Ask for help. If you have a lot on your plate, and it’s overwhelming you, delegate the things you can assign to someone else so you are more free to do the things that only you can do or things that you enjoy most. This does not mean it is okay to dump all the unpleasant tasks you have to do onto someone else. But learning how to spread the work out so it is not more than you can healthily manage alone is a healthy skill to master.
4. Eliminate distractions. It is so easy to get side tracked especially when we are busy. You start one thing and see something else that needs attention, then you jump to that thing and forget about the original thing you were doing. Stop it. Focus. Having a to do list is one of the best ways to eliminate distractions because it is tangible and makes it easier to stay on task. Turn off your ringer so friends don’t distract you with random texts and calls when you are trying to get things done. Stay focused.
5. Accept failure. Don’t hold yourself to such a high standard that you cannot achieve success. No one is perfect. Accept that you are human. The beauty of being human is that you know your strengths and shine in them and also accept your growth points so you can work to strengthen those areas. Acknowledging you are human means that you are free to be human. Once you accept this about yourself, you can forgive yourself and subsequently, give yourself permission to try again tomorrow. Now that you have allowed yourself some space to be human, get back up and keep moving forward.
My name is Carla Helené. I am a cheeky naturalista, serial entrepreneur, speaker, educator and self love advocate who encourages women to embrace their truth, love themselves and make margaritas out of life’s lemons. Is there a recipe for this? I’m not sure I but I know we can figure it out together.
Want to be a guest blogger for Caheez? Contact Carla Helené or email Carla at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your post topic. Be sure to type Guest Blogger in the subject of your email.
Got an event you want to book Carla Helené for? Let's talk!
Carla Helené is social